Friday, August 10, 2007

Lies, damn lies and statistics

Do you know what this is?
That, my friends, is horse shit. In a bike lane, apparently.

More horse shit comes from the Denver Post, which is trumpeting this weekend's "Underground Music Showcase" featuring "The 300 Best Bands in Colorado," which, yes, they ranked.

I know, I know. I can't be mad every time my band gets passed over for something like this, and I'm not. Could care less about being overlooked for Monolith Festival for being the "wrong" kind of music - even though Meese, who is more "wrong" than we are, got in - and because the folks at Monolith took our cash but DIDN'T EVEN OPEN OUR FUCKING PRESS KIT. A little more angry about being passed over for the People's Fair, thanks to some meaningless politics in the system from people who have never even seen us play. But this "ranking" of the 300 "best" bands is just a little too much.

For one thing, every band on this list has kissed ass from the hi-dive to the Larimer, two rooms which combined might pack as many people in as my band does at the Gothic and Bluebird Theatres. They've gotten more political play from the "scene-makers" at Radio 1190 and the ultimate indie-hipster, Ric Baca at the Post.

Now. I know Ricardo Baca. He's a nice fella. But if you're going to rank these bands and you're not going to look outside your little circle to find them, your ranking is 100% flawed. Some bands on that list have a grand total of three live shows under their belts. THREE!

Being friends with bands is cool, but when you're making a ranking like this based on those friendships, then call it what it is.

Horse shit.

In the following clip, the fruit vendor is the Denver Music Scene, and the New Zealanders - Bret and Jemaine, for clarity - represents my band.



Too many mother uckas, uckin' with my shit.

No comments: